Bots are a permanent part of the internet. Good, questionable, or malicious bot activity makes up a substantial amount of internet traffic. And bots can perform a variety of both critical and criminal operations. Businesses that can tell the difference – block bad bots and allow good bots – can improve customer experiences. But it’s no easy task.
The recent 2020 Bot Landscape and Impact Report is based on a survey of more than 250 companies engaged in eCommerce. 88% of leaders in business, cybersecurity, and IT reported that complex, sophisticated attacks are more difficult to detect. And existing solutions aren’t working against these emerging attacks.
That poses a major problem, because attacks have become more frequent and costly:
- 81% often or very often deal with issues related to malicious bots.
- More than half encountered over 50 bot attacks in the last 12 months.
- 80% reported an increase in financial loss caused by sophisticated bot attacks.
- 1 in 4 said a single bot attack cost at least $500,000 in the past year.
- 2 in 3 say a single attack cost $100,000 or more.